The Ukiah Valley Basin GSA was created in 2017 to sustainably manage groundwater locally, as required by the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) of 2014. In 2021, the GSA Board of Directors approved a Groundwater Sustainability Plan (GSP) for the basin which assessed the conditions of the basin, analyzed the basin’s sustainability over a 50-year period, and identified projects and management actions needed to ensure the basin is sustainable by 2042. The Department of Water Resources (DWR) approved the GSP in July 2023.
Up to this point, the GSA has been solely funded by grants and member agency contributions. With the recent approval of the GSP, the GSA is at a turning point and the GSA’s top priority is to develop a funding mechanism that will allow the GSA to become financially self-sufficient. The new funding mechanism will fund GSP implementation, investigative and feasibility studies that advance the understanding of the groundwater basin, annual monitoring and reporting, five-year updates to the GSP, and agency operations.
Main Fee Setting Goals:
- Establish and secure a fee structure adopted with confidence by the GSA Board of Directors and with maximum buy-in from interested parties, stakeholders, and the community.
- Provide a fee structure that supports the financial obligations and budget needs of the GSA.
- Set a fee structure that is economically and easily administered, charged, and collected.
The Fee Study to assess funding options was initiated in June 2023 and is anticipated to be completed by August 2024.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
The GSA encourages public participation in the fee setting process. Two workshops will be held for members of the public to learn more about funding options and provide feedback:
- January 11, 6-7:30 p.m. at the Behavioral Health Regional Training Center located at 8207 East Rd., Redwood Valley, CA 95470
- March 13, 6-7:30 p.m. at the Ukiah Veterans Memorial Building located at 293 Seminary Ave., Ukiah, CA 95482
Stay informed via email updates by signing up for our newsletter.
Email the GSA with questions or comments at email@example.com.